from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. As much as a penny will buy.
- n. A small amount; a modicum.
- n. A bargain: got my pennyworth at that price.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The amount that can be bought by a penny.
- n. A small worth or quantity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A penny's worth; as much as may be bought for a penny.
- n. Hence: The full value of one's penny expended; due return for money laid out; a good bargain; a bargain.
- n. A small quantity; a trifle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. As much as is bought for a penny; hence, a small quantity.
- n. Value for the money given; hence, a bar-gain, whether in buying or selling.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the amount that can be bought for a penny
Sorry, no etymologies found.