from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Fully unacceptable or unwelcome, especially to a foreign government: The diplomat was persona non grata.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who is not welcome, especially a diplomat in a foreign country.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is not acceptable; one who is not in favor.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a diplomat who is unacceptable to the government to which he is sent
- n. a person who for some reason is not wanted or welcome
Late Latin persōna nōn grāta : Latin persōna, person + Latin nōn, not + Latin grāta, feminine of grātus, acceptable.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin persona ("person") + non ("not") + grata (from gratus ("acceptable")). (Wiktionary)