from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The body of persons employed by or active in an organization, business, or service.
- n. Persons.
- n. An administrative division of an organization concerned with the body of persons employed by or active in it and often acting as a liaison between different departments.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. employees; office staff
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The body of persons employed in some public service, as the army, navy, etc.; -- distinguished from matériel.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The body of persons employed in any service, especially a public service, as the army, navy, etc., in contradistinction to the matériel, or material, which consists of guns, stores, tools, machines, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the department responsible for hiring and training and placing employees and for setting policies for personnel management
- n. group of people willing to obey orders
French, from Old French, personal, from Latin persōnālis; see personality.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French personnel. (Wiktionary)