from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Zoology Of, relating to, or resembling seals.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of the subfamily Phocinae, comprising the "true" or "earless" seals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the seal tribe; phocal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Seal-like; of or pertaining to the Phocidæ at large.
- Belonging to the restricted subfamily Phocinæ: distinguished from otarine.
- n. Any member of the Phocinæ; a phocacean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to seals
From Latin phōca, seal, from Greek phōkē.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Scientific Latin Phoca (genus name) (Classical Latin phōca ("seal"), from Ancient Greek ϕώκη) + -ine. (Wiktionary)