from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The haploid nucleus of a sperm or egg before fusion of the nuclei in fertilization.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Either of the two haploid nuclei (of a sperm and ovum) that fuse during fertilization
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the two bodies or nuclei (called male and female pronuclei) which unite to form the first segmentation nucleus of an impregnated ovum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A primitive nucleus; the nucleus of an ovum or of a spermatozoön before these have united to form the definitive nucleus of an impregnated ovum.
- n. In botany, the nucleus of a conjugating gamete, which on coalescing with another pronucleus forms the germ-nucleus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the nucleus of the ovum or sperm after fertilization but before they fuse to form the nucleus of the zygote
Sorry, no etymologies found.