from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The enlisted troops, excluding noncommissioned officers, in an army.
- n. The people who form the major portion of a group, organization, or society, excluding the leaders and officers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Common soldiers, as would be arrayed in a grid pattern with ranks and files.
- n. Those lacking any particular title or status; those having no station.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Those who constitute the bulk or working members of a party, society, etc., in distinction from the leaders.
- n. See under 1st File.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. people who constitute the main body of any group
- n. the ordinary members of an organization (such as the enlisted soldiers of an army)
Sorry, no etymologies found.