from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being transported by a lofty emotion; ecstasy.
- n. An expression of ecstatic feeling. Often used in the plural.
- n. The transporting of a person from one place to another, especially to heaven.
- transitive v. To enrapture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Extreme pleasure, happiness or excitement.
- n. In some forms of fundamentalist Protestant eschatology, the event when Jesus returns and gathers the souls of living believers. (Usually "the rapture.")
- n. The act of kidnapping or abducting, especially the forceful carrying off of a woman.
- n. Rape; ravishment; sexual violation.
- n. The act of carrying, conveying, transporting or sweeping along by force of movement; the force of such movement; the fact of being carried along by such movement.
- v. to experience great happiness or excitement
- v. to cause to experience great happiness or excitement
- v. to take part in the Rapture
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A seizing by violence; a hurrying along; rapidity with violence.
- n. The state or condition of being rapt, or carried away from one's self by agreeable excitement; violence of a pleasing passion; extreme joy or pleasure; ecstasy.
- n. A spasm; a fit; a syncope; delirium.
- transitive v. To transport with excitement; to enrapture.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A violent taking and carrying away; seizure; forcible removal.
- n. Violent transporting movement; a rapid carrying or going along; moving energy.
- n. A state of mental transport or exaltation; ecstasy.
- n. Ecstatic elevation of thought or feeling; lofty or soaring enthusiasm; exalted or absorbing earnestness.
- n. A manifestation of mental transport; an ecstatic utterance or action; an expression of exalted or passionate feeling of any kind; a rhapsody.
- n. An ecstasy of passionate excitement; a paroxysm or fit from excessive emotion.
- n. Synonyms Transport, bliss, exaltation.
- To enrapture.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of elated bliss
- n. a state of being carried away by overwhelming emotion
Obsolete French, abduction, carrying off, from rapt, carried away, from Old French rat, from Latin raptus; see rapt.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin raptūra, future active participle of rapiō ("snatch, carry off") (Wiktionary)