from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who rises, especially from sleep: She is a late riser.
- n. The vertical part of a stair step.
- n. A platform, as for elevating a group of people above a crowd, often arranged with similar platforms in tiers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone or something which rises.
- n. A platform or stand used to lift or elevate something.
- n. The vertical part of a step on a staircase.
- n. The main body of a bow.
- n. A conduit or path between floors of a building for placement of telephone, networking, and other utility cables.
- n. A Manx cat with an extremely short tail.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who rises.
- n. The upright piece of a step, from tread to tread.
- n. Any small upright face, as of a seat, platform, veranda, or the like.
- n. A shaft excavated from below upward.
- n. A feed head. See under Feed, n.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which rises.
- n. One who revolts; a rebel or rioter.
- n. In angling, a fish considered with reference to its manner of rising.
- n. In founding: An opening in a molding-flask into which the molten metal rises as the flask is filled; a head.
- n. Same as feed-head, 2.
- n. The vertical face of a stairstep. Also raiser and lift.
- n. plural In printing, blocks of wood or metal upon which electrotype plates are mounted to raise them to the height of type. [Eng.]
- n. A riser pipe; any pipe which conveys a supply of hot or cold water, steam, gas, etc., from the source of supply upward, as through a building to bathrooms, radiators, or gas-fixtures.
- n. In bee-keeping, a portion of a hive inserted under another hive to make more room.
- n. In electricity, a wire connecting the various floors of a building and serving for the transmission of currents for electric lighting or power.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who rises (especially from bed)
- n. a vertical pipe in a building
- n. structural member consisting of the vertical part of a stair or step
rise + -er (Wiktionary)