from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To wrinkle or form into folds or creases.
- intransitive v. To become wrinkled or creased.
- n. An irregular or untidy crease.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make wrinkled, particularly of fabric.
- v. To muss.
- v. To tousle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. To make uneven; to form into irregular inequalities; to wrinkle; to crumple.
- n. A fold or plait; a wrinkle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To wrinkle; make uneven; form into irregular inequalities.
- n. A wrinkle; a fold; a ridge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. to gather something into small wrinkles or folds
- v. disturb the smoothness of
- v. become wrinkled or crumpled or creased
Perhaps Dutch rompelen, from Middle Dutch rumpelen.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)