from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Analysis of verse into metrical patterns.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The rhythm or meter of a line or verse.
- n. The act of analysing the meter of poetry.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of scanning; distinguishing the metrical feet of a verse by emphasis, pauses, or otherwise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of scanning; the measuring of a verse by feet in order to see whether the quantities are duly observed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. analysis of verse into metrical patterns
Late Latin scānsiō, scānsiōn-, from Latin, act of climbing, from scānsus, past participle of scandere, to climb; see skand- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin scanscionem, accusative singular of scansiō ("the act of climbing"), from scandō ("I climb"). (Wiktionary)