from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act or product of transliterating, or of representing letters or words in the characters of another alphabet or script.
- n. The act or product of rendering speech in sign language, or vice versa.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or product of transliterating, or of expressing words of a language by means of the characters of another alphabet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of transliterating; the rendering of a letter or letters of one alphabet by equivalents in another.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a transcription from one alphabet to another
From Latin transliteratus past participle of transliterare ("to transliterate"), from trans- ("across") + littera ("letter"). (Wiktionary)