from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who owns or manages a shop.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A trader who sells goods in a shop, or by retail; -- in distinction from one who sells by wholesale, or sells door to door.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A trader who sells goods in a shop, or by retail; -- in distinction from one who sells by wholesale.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who keeps a shop for the sale of goods; a trader who sells goods in a shop or by retail, in distinction from a merchant, or one who sells by wholesale; in general, a tradesman.
- n. An article that has been long on hand in a shop; as, that chair is an old shopkeeper.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a merchant who owns or manages a shop
Sorry, no etymologies found.