from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dessert consisting of a biscuit or cake served with fruit and topped with cream.
- n. The biscuit or cake made for this dessert.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sweet biscuit typically made with flour, sugar, salt, butter, milk or cream, and sometimes eggs, and leavened with baking powder or baking soda.
- n. A dessert made with such a biscuit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An unsweetened breakfast cake shortened with butter or lard, rolled thin, and baked.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rich crisp tea-cake, made short with butter, sweetened, and baked rather thin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. very short biscuit dough baked as individual biscuits or a round loaf; served with sweetened fruit and usually whipped cream
Sorry, no etymologies found.