from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A money-changer or banker in South Asia.
- n. A cashier at a car park.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A banker, or changer of money.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See shruff.
- n. In India, a banker or money-changer.
- n. In China, Japan, etc., a native teller or silver-expert, employed by banks and mercantile establishments to inspect and count all dollars that reach the firm, and detect and throw out the bad or defaced ones.
- To inspect for the purpose of detecting and throwing out what is bad: as, to shroff dollars.
Anglo-Indian corruption of saraf. (Wiktionary)