from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A cut of meat, especially of beef, from the upper part of the loin just in front of the round.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cut of beef from the lower part of the ribs
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A loin of beef, or a part of a loin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The loin, or upper part of the loin, of beef, or part covering either kidney.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the portion of the loin (especially of beef) just in front of the rump
Middle English surloine, from Old French surlonge, *surloigne : sur, above (from Latin super; see uper in Indo-European roots) + longe, loigne, loin; see loin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)