from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that slides: The snowy hill was filled with young sliders.
- n. Baseball A fast pitch released with the index and middle fingers close together and slightly off center so that it breaks in the same direction as a curve ball as it approaches the plate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Agent noun of slide: one who slides.
- n. A pitch thrown with added pressure by middle and ring fingers yielding a combination of backspin and sidespin, resulting in a motion to the left when thrown by a right handed pitcher.
- n. A similar delivery in which the wrist and ring finger work to impart backspin to the ball.
- n. A small hamburger.
- n. A piece of teflon or similar material attached to a curling shoe that allows the player to slide along the ice.
- n. A widget allowing the user to select a value or position on a sliding scale.
- n. Pseudemys rugosa, the red-bellied terrapin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. See slidder.
- n. One who, or that which, slides; especially, a sliding part of an instrument or machine.
- n. The red-bellied terrapin (Pseudemys rugosa).
- n. any of several North American freshwater turtles of the genus Chrysemis; some, such as C. scripta are sold commercially as pets.
- n. a fast pitch that breaks slightly just in front of the batter, in the same direction as a curve ball (i. e. , away from the side from which it was thrown).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which slides.
- n. The potter, skilpot, red-fender, or red-bellied terrapin, Pseudemys rugosa (or Chrysemys rubriventris), an inferior kind of terrapin or turtle sometimes cooked in place of the genuine Malacoclemmys palustris, or diamond-back.
- n. plural Drawers.
- A Middle English form of slidder.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who slips or slides because of loss of traction
- n. freshwater turtle of United States and South America; frequently raised commercially; some young sold as pets
- n. someone who races the luge
- n. a fastball that curves slightly away from the side from which it was thrown
slide + -er (Wiktionary)