from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An apparatus that heats or provides heat.
- n. One who heats something or tends a heating apparatus.
- n. Slang A pistol.
- n. Baseball A fastball.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device that produces and radiates heat, typically to raise the temperature of a room or building.
- n. A gun.
- n. (slang) A fastball.
- n. (slang) An extended winning streak.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, heats.
- n. Any contrivance or implement, as a furnace, stove, or other heated body or vessel, etc., used to impart heat to something, or to contain something to be heated.
- n. A pistol or other carryable firearm.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which heats.
- n. Specifically— A furnace, stove, or other device for heating, drying, or warning buildings, rooms, drying-houses, fruit-evaporators, or parts of machines, as the calendering-rolls of a paper-mill.
- n. A small mass of cast-iron designed to be heated and then placed in a hollow fiat-iron or in a coffee-pot, to heat the iron or keep the coffee hot.
- n. In a sugar-making plant, a pan used for the first heating of the cane-juice or syrup; a heating-pan.
- n. In electricity, that part of the Nernst lamp which, in starting, is heated by the electric current and by its heat starts the glower. See Nernst lamp.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. device that heats water or supplies warmth to a room
- n. (baseball) a pitch thrown with maximum velocity
to heat + -er (Wiktionary)