from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A narrow passage extending inland from a shore; a channel.
- n. Slang A pistol.
- v. Archaic A past tense of get.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Gatling gun.
- n. Any type of gun; usually in reference to a pistol.
- v. To shoot someone with a pistol or other handheld firearm.
- n. A guitar
- v. Simple past of get.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- imp. of get.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An old preterit of get.
- n. An obsolete form of goat.
- n. An opening or passage in a sand-bank; a way from the cliffs to the sea.
- n. Nautical, a channel among shoals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a gangster's pistol
Probably Dutch, from Middle Dutch.
Short for Gat(ling gun).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Gatling gun, after inventor Richard Gatling. (Wiktionary)
From guitar, by shortening (Wiktionary)