from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hollow; a hole.
- n. A hollow area within the body: a sinus cavity.
- n. A pitted area in a tooth caused by caries.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hole or hollow depression.
- n. A hollow area within the body (such as the sinuses).
- n. A soft area in a decayed tooth.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Hollowness.
- n. A hollow place; a hollow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hollow place; a hollow; a void or empty space in a body: as, the abdominal cavity; the thoracic cavity; the cavity of the mouth.
- n. The state of being hollow; hollowness.
- n. In horticulture See basin, 12.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sizeable hole (usually in the ground)
- n. soft decayed area in a tooth; progressive decay can lead to the death of a tooth
- n. (anatomy) a natural hollow or sinus within the body
- n. space that is surrounded by something
French cavité, from Late Latin cavitās, from Latin cavus, hollow; see keuə- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin cavitas, from Latin cavus ("hollow"), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱówHwos, from root Proto-Indo-European *ḱówH- (Wiktionary)