from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A statistic.
- adv. With no delay; at once.
- adj. Immediate: "Next I want a stat EKG and a chest film” ( David Shobin).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Immediately, now – usually used in medical situations, to connote extreme urgency.
- n. Short for statistic.
- n. Short for statistics.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of statute or statutes: as, Rev. Stat. (Revised Statutes).
- n. An abbreviation of the Latin statim, immediately
- n. of statuary.
Short for Latin statim; see stā- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin statim ("immediately"). (Wiktionary)