from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who smokes tobacco.
- n. A device, such as a stove, that emits smoke.
- n. A smoking car.
- n. An informal social gathering for men.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who smokes tobacco habitually.
- n. A smoking car on a train.
- n. An informal social gathering for men only.
- n. A vent in the deep ocean floor from which a plume of superheated seawater, rich in minerals, erupts.
- n. An illicit boxing match; see Wikipedia:Battle Royal (boxing).
- n. A device that releases smoke intended to distract bees (also more specifically called a bee smoker).
- n. An apparatus for smoking food, or a person who smokes food.
- n. An social event featuring sketches, songs, etc., whether or not smoking is carried out.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who dries or preserves by smoke.
- n. One who smokes tobacco or the like.
- n. A smoking car or compartment.
- n. A gathering for smoking and social intercourse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which smokes, in any sense of the verb.
- n. See the quotation.
- n. A smoking-car.
- n. The long-billed curlew, Numenius longirostris: so called from the shape of the bill, which looks as if the bird had a pipe in its mouth.
- n. In bee-keeping, an apparatus for creating a smoke to quiet the bees.
- n. An informal gathering of men where smoking is freely indulged in: music, a vaudeville show, cards, etc., are sometimes part of the evening's entertainment.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a party for men only (or one considered suitable for men only)
- n. a person who smokes tobacco
- n. a passenger car for passengers who wish to smoke
Sorry, no etymologies found.