from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a sophist
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A sophist. See sophist.
- n. A student who is advanced beyond the first year of his residence.
- transitive v. To maintain by sophistry, or by a fallacious argument.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A man of learning; a teacher; specifically, a professional teacher of philosophy; a sophist.
- n. A sophist; a quibbler; a subtle and fallacious reasoner.
- n. In English universities, a student advanced beyond the first year of his residence, now generally called a soph.
- To maintain by a fallacious argument or sophistry.
Sorry, no etymologies found.