from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Bog spavin.
- n. Bone spavin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A disease of horses characterized by a bony swelling developed on the hock as the result of inflammation of the bones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A disease of horses characterized by a bony swelling developed on the hock as the result of inflammation of the bones; also, the swelling itself. The resulting lameness is due to the inflammation, and not the bony tumor as popularly supposed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A disease of horses affecting the hock-joint, or joint of the hind leg between the knee and the fetlock. See bog-spavin, bloodspavin, bone-spavin.
- n. In coal-mining, the clay underlying the coal. Also called under-clay, coal-clay, seat, seat-clay, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a swelling of the hock joint of a horse; resulting in lameness
Middle English spaven, from Old French espavain, swelling, perhaps of Germanic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)