from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A spectroscope equipped with scales for measuring wavelengths or indexes of refraction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An optical instrument for measuring the absorption of light by chemical substances; typically it will plot a graph of absorption versus wavelength or frequency, and the patterns produced are used to identify the substances present, and their internal structure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A spectroscope fitted for measurements of the luminious spectra observed with it.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument used chiefly to measure the angular deviation of light-rays in passing through a prism, and hence to determine the refractive indices of the substance of which the prism is formed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. spectroscope for obtaining a mass spectrum by deflecting ions into a thin slit and measuring the ion current with an electrometer
spectro- + -meter (Wiktionary)