from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A male gamete or reproductive cell; a spermatozoon.
- n. Semen.
- n. A substance, such as spermaceti, associated with the sperm whale.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Semen; the generative substance of male animals.
- n. The reproductive cell or gamete of the male; a spermatozoon.
- n. sperm oil; whale oil from a sperm whale; spermaceti.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The male fecundating fluid; semen. See semen.
- n. Spermaceti.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The male seed of any kind, as the semen or seminal fluid of the higher vertebrates, the male spawn or milt of the lower vertebrates, or the seminal elements of any animal, containing the male germs, or spermatozoa.
- n. Same as spermaceti.
- n. A sperm-whale.
- n. Sperm-oil.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the male reproductive cell; the male gamete
Middle English sperme, semen, from Old French esperme, from Late Latin sperma, from Greek; see sper- in Indo-European roots.
Short for spermaceti.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle French sperme, from Latin sperma, from Ancient Greek σπέρμα (sperma, "seed, semen"). (Wiktionary)