from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Used in or appropriate for sports: sporting goods.
- adj. Characterized by sportsmanship.
- adj. Of or associated with gambling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of sport.
- adj. Pertaining to sports
- adj. Exhibiting sportsmanship.
- adj. Having a reasonable chance of success.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or engaging in, sport or sports; exhibiting the character or conduct of one who, or that which, sports.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sport; a game; specifically, participation in horse-racing, sports of the field, etc.; sports collectively, with all the interests involved in them.
- n. In zoology and botany, spontaneous origination of new and singular characters; the appearance of a sport, or the assumption of that character by an individual animal or plant. See sport, v. i., 3, and n., 8.
- Engaging or concerned in sport or diversion; specifically, interested in or practising field-sports: as, a sporting man. See sport, n., 9.
- In botany and zoology, assuming the character of a sport. See sport, n., 8, Darwin, Var. of Animals and Plants, p. 413
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. exhibiting or calling for sportsmanship or fair play
- adj. involving risk or willingness to take a risk
- adj. relating to or used in sports
- adj. preoccupied with the pursuit of pleasure and especially games of chance
Sorry, no etymologies found.