from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An adult male horse that has not been castrated, especially one kept for breeding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An uncastrated male horse
- n. A male kept primarily as a stud
- n. A very virile, sexy man
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A male horse not castrated; a male horse kept for breeding.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The male of the horse; an entire horse; a horse kept for breeding purposes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. uncastrated adult male horse
Middle English stalione (alteration of staloun), from Anglo-Norman estaloun, of Germanic origin; see stel- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English stalion, from Middle French estalon (hence modern French étalon), of Germanic origin, akin to stal 'stall, stable' (Wiktionary)