from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small mountain lake, especially one formed by glaciers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small mountain lake, especially in Northern England.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mountain lake or pool.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small mountain lake or pool, especially one which has no visible feeders.
- n. A bog; a marsh; a fen.
- n. Same as tern.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mountain lake (especially one formed by glaciers)
Middle English tarne, of Scandinavian origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old Norse tjǫrn ("a small mountain lake without tributaries"). Cognate with Norwegian tjern ("small forest or mountain lake") (Wiktionary)