from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A nipple of the mammary gland; a mamilla.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The projection of a mammary gland from which, on female mammals, milk is secreted.
- n. An artificial nipple used for bottle-feeding infants.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The protuberance through which milk is drawn from the udder or breast of a mammal; a nipple; a pap; a mammilla; a dug; a tit.
- n. A small protuberance or nozzle resembling the teat of an animal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The mammary nipple; the tip of the mammary gland, through which milk passes out, or is drawn out by sucking or squeezing; the pap of a woman or the dug of a beast.
- n. Hence, the mammary gland; the breast; the udder.
- n. Something resembling a teat, as a nozle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the small projection of a mammary gland
Middle English tete, from Old French, of Germanic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French tette, of Germanic origin. It replaced Old English titt, which survives as English tit. Confer Dutch tiet and German Zitze, "teat". (Wiktionary)