from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of threaten.
- adj. Presenting a threat; menacing; frightening.
- n. An act of threatening; a threat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a. & n. from threaten, v.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who threatens; a threat; a menace; a menacing.
- Indicating or containing a threat or menace.
- Indicating some impending evil; specifically, indicating rain or snow.
- Letters demanding money or other property with menaces.
- Letters threatening to accuse any person of a crime, for the purpose of extorting money.
- Letters threatening to kill a person. The precise definition of what facts constitute a penal offense in this respect varies much with the law in different jurisdictions.
- Synonyms Menacing, minatory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. darkened by clouds
- adj. threatening or foreshadowing evil or tragic developments
From threaten + -ing. (Wiktionary)