from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A girl considered boyish or masculine in behavior or manner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A girl who behaves in a typically boyish manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A romping girl; a hoiden.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A rude, boisterous boy.
- n. A wild, romping girl; a hoyden.
- n. A worthless woman; a strumpet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a girl who behaves in a boyish manner
First attested in 1553 when it originally meant a “boisterous boy”, later in 1579 when it came to mean an “immodest woman”, and then finally in 1592 it developed its modern meaning of a “girl who acts like a boy”; from Tom, familiar form of Thomas + boy, “male child”. (Wiktionary)