from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who has not experienced sexual intercourse.
- n. A chaste or unmarried woman; a maiden.
- n. An unmarried woman who has taken religious vows of chastity.
- n. The Virgin Mary.
- n. Zoology A female insect or other arthropod that produces fertile eggs without copulating.
- adj. Of, relating to, or being a virgin; chaste.
- adj. Being in a pure or natural state; unsullied: virgin snow.
- adj. Unused, uncultivated, or unexplored: virgin territory.
- adj. Existing in native or raw form; not processed or refined.
- adj. Happening for the first time; initial.
- adj. Obtained directly from the first pressing: virgin olive oil.
- adj. Zoology Producing fertile eggs without copulating.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who has never had sexual intercourse, or sometimes, one who has never engaged in any sexual activity at all.
- n. Preceded by a noun, a person who has never used or experienced what is denoted by the noun.
- adj. In a state of virginity; chaste, not having had sexual intercourse.
- adj. Of a physical object, untouched.
- adj. Of olive oil, obtained by mechanical means, so that the oil is not altered.
- adj. Of mixed drinks, not containing alcohol.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A woman who has had no carnal knowledge of man; a maid.
- n. A person of the male sex who has not known sexual indulgence.
- n. See Virgo.
- n. Any one of several species of gossamer-winged butterflies of the family Lycænidæ.
- n. A female insect producing eggs from which young are hatched, though there has been no fecundation by a male; a parthenogenetic insect.
- adj. Being a virgin; chaste; of or pertaining to a virgin; becoming a virgin; maidenly; modest; indicating modesty.
- adj. Pure; undefiled; unmixed; fresh; new
- adj. Not yet pregnant; impregnant.
- intransitive v. To act the virgin; to be or keep chaste; -- followed by it. See it, 5.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A woman who has had no carnal knowledge of man; a maiden of inviolate chastity; a pure maid.
- n. A man who has preserved his chastity.
- n. One who professes perpetual virginity; especially, in the early church, one of a class or order of women who were vowed to lifelong continence.
- n. The state of virginity.
- n. A parthenogenetic insect, as an aphid; a female insect which lays eggs which hatch, though there has been no fecundation for some generations by the male.
- n. Any female animal which has not had young, or has not copulated.
- n. [capitalized] The zodiacal sign or the constellation Virgo. See Virgo.
- Of or pertaining to a maid or virgin; being a virgin; befitting a virgin; chaste; pure; maidenly; indicating modesty.
- Unsullied; undefiled: as, virgin snow; virgin minds.
- Untouched; not meddled with; unused; untried; fresh; new; unalloyed: as, virgin soil.
- In zoology, parthenogenetic, as an insect; of or pertaining to parthenogenesis: as, virgin reproduction. See agamogenesis.
- To play the virgin; be or continue chaste: sometimes with indefinite it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Virgo
- n. a person who has never had sex
- adj. in a state of sexual virginity
- n. the sixth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about August 23 to September 22
- adj. being used or worked for the first time
Middle English, from Old French virgine, from Latin virgō, virgin-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French virgine, from Latin virginem (nominative: virgo). (Wiktionary)