from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A surgical instrument having circular, sawlike edges, used to cut out disks of bone, usually from the skull.
- transitive v. To operate on with a trephine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A surgical instrument used to remove a circular section of bone from the skull; a trepan.
- v. To use a trephine during surgery.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for trepanning, being an improvement on the trepan. It is a circular or cylindrical saw, with a handle like that of a gimlet, and a little sharp perforator called the center pin.
- transitive v. To perforate with a trephine; to trepan.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An improved form of the trepan, consisting of a cylindrical saw with a handle placed transversely, like that of a gimlet, and having a sharp steel point called the center-pin.
- To operate upon with a trephine; trepan.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a surgical instrument used to remove sections of bone from the skull
- v. operate on with a trephine
French tréphine, from obsolete English trefine, from Latin trēs fīnēs, three ends : trēs, three; see trei- in Indo-European roots + fīnēs, pl. of fīnis, end.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)