from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who believes in or supports a union or unionism.
- n. A member of a labor or trade union.
- n. One loyal to the federal government during the Civil War.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to unionism
- n. An advocate or supporter of unionism
- n. A trade unionist
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who advocates or promotes union; especially a loyal supporter of a federal union, as that of the United States.
- n. A member or supporter of a trades union.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who promotes or advocates union.
- n. A member of a trade-union; a trade-unionist. One who during the American civil war took the side of the national government.
- n. [capitalized] In British politics, one who is opposed to the dissolution or rupture of the legislative union existing between Great Britain and Ireland, and especially to the separatist principles and tendencies of those who desire to establish home rule in Ireland: a name applied to the Conservatives and Liberal Unionists.
- Of or pertaining to a union or to unionism; promoting or advocating union: as, a unionist movement; a unionist party.
- Specifically, during the civil war in the United States, of or pertaining to the Union party or cause.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a worker who belongs to a trade union
Sorry, no etymologies found.