from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Turning about an axis; revolving or whirling.
- adj. Affected by vertigo; dizzy. See Synonyms at giddy.
- adj. Tending to produce vertigo: "my small mind contained in earthly human limits, not lost in vertiginous space and elements unknown” ( Diana Cooper).
- adj. Inclined to change quickly; unstable.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having an aspect of great depth, drawing the eye to look downwards.
- adj. Inducing a feeling of giddiness, vertigo, dizziness or of whirling.
- adj. Pertaining to vertigo (in all its meanings).
- adj. Revolving; rotating; rotatory.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Turning round; whirling; rotary; revolving.
- adj. Affected with vertigo; giddy; dizzy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Turning round; whirling; rotary: as, a vertiginous motion.
- Affected with vertigo; giddy; dizzy.
- Apt to turn or change; unstable.
- Apt to make one giddy; inducing giddiness: as, a vertiginous height.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having or causing a whirling sensation; liable to falling
From Latin vertīgō, vertīgin-, a whirling, from vertere, to turn; see version.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)