from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The source of a stream or spring.
- n. A source: a wellspring of ideas.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The source of water for a stream, spring or well; a fountainhead; a wellhead.
- n. A perennial source of anything; a fountainhead of supply or emanation; resource.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fountain; a spring; a source of continual supply.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A water-source; a fountainhead; a living spring.
- n. Hence Figuratively, a perennial source of anything; a fountainhead of supply or of emanation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the source of water for a well
- n. an abundant source
From Middle English wellespring, from Old English wiellspring, wiellġespring ("spring, fount, fountain"), corresponding to well + spring. More at well, spring. (Wiktionary)