from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A yellow carotenoid pigment, C40H56O2, found with chlorophyll in green plants and identical with lutein.
- n. Any of various related yellow pigments.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various hydroxy, carbonyl or carboxylic acid derivatives of carotenes.
- n. Alternative name for lutein.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A yellow coloring matter found in yellow autumn leaves, and also produced artificially from chlorophyll; -- formerly called also phylloxanthin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. yellow carotenoid pigments in plants and animal fats and egg yolks
From xantho- (from Ancient Greek ξανθός (xanthos, "yellow")) + -phyll (from φύλλος (phyllos, "leaf")). (Wiktionary)