from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Greek Mythology The goddess of the moon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The goddess of the Moon; daughter of Hyperion and Theia, sister of Helios and Eos, mother of the Menae, (the goddesses of the lunar months within a olympiad). Her Roman counterpart is Luna.
- proper n. A female given name.
- proper n. the moon
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Greek myth, the goddess of the moon, called in Latin Luna.
- n. [NL. (Lacépède, 1803).] In ichthyology, a genus of carangoid fishes; the moonfishes, whose soft dorsal and anal fins have the anterior rays much produced in the adult. S. vomer is known as the lookdown and horsehead. See cut under horsehead.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a genus of Carangidae
- n. (Greek mythology) goddess of the Moon in ancient mythology; identified with Roman Luna
"Readers may be frustrated that Selene is more observer than actor ... but historical fiction enthusiasts will delight in this solid installment from a talented name in the genre."
Recounted in Selene's youthful and engaging voice, it introduces a compelling cast of historical characters: Octavia, the emperor Octavian's kind and compassionate sister, abandoned by Marc Antony for Cleopatra; Livia, Octavian's bitter and jealous wife; Marcellus, Octavian's handsome, flirtatious nephew and heir apparent; Tiberius, Livia's sardonic son and Marcellus's great rival for power; and Juba, Octavian's watchful aide, whose honored position at court has far-reaching effects on the lives of the young Egyptian royals.
Keeping a spoiled movie princess under wraps may be more than she can handleeven with the help of Tess's icily unflappable friend Whitneysince Selene is not as naive as everyone seems to think, and far more devious than she initially appears to be.
Of course, they left room for yet another movie -- more hybrid fun, I supposed; but how will that play out now that Selene is not vampire anymore or is she just a new breed that can withstand the sun??
Once Selene acquires a loan, the firm immediately tries to contact the borrower, sometimes sending a FedEx package with a gift card that can be activated only if the borrower calls a Selene debt-workout specialist.
But I will say that The Heathen aka Selene The Cat just stole my bag of crackers from my lap!
“The moon was also called Selene by the Greeks Baltar,”
The moon was also called Selene by the Greeks Baltar..
The children would call Selene when they wanted her, but would fly to Arsinoe as soon as they saw her.
Ray: Yah, but probably most well known as Selene from 28 Days Later