from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Variant of amuck.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Out of control, especially when armed and dangerous
- adv. In a frenzy of violence, or on a killing spree; berserk
- n. One who runs amok; in Malay and Moro/Philippine culture, one who attempts to kill many others, especially expecting that they will be killed themselves.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See amuck.
- Same as amuck (but a form nearer the original). See amuck.
- n. An affray in which one or more persons (Malays) run amuck. See the quotation.
- To run amuck (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in a murderous frenzy
- adj. frenzied as if possessed by a demon
- adv. wildly; without self-control
As he ran on, crying out in his frenzy, "_Amok -- amok -- amok_! kill -- kill -- kill!" we saw some of the police dashing towards him with long poles, at the end of which was a fork of wood with iron spikes inside it.
With the economy in shambles, healthcare reform imploding and tax and spend Democrats running amok is the a newswothy story or just another cheesy photo-op for a pitiful president?
But Prince did say one big important thing: What Blackwater does when its contractors run amok is fire them.
Technology gone amok is one example of that (seen in 50's sci fi) - a robot that kills its creator certainly went beyond expectations.
Personally, my favorite story about PC zero-tolerance policies run amok is the girl that brought a tray of brownies to school on her birthday and ended up getting expelled because she brought a kitchen knife to cut them with.
Isn’t Bible Spice the one who supports racial profiling by saying, “political correctness run amok is going to destroy our country”?
And on the important issues of war and peace, protecting basic civil liberties, and challenging the crimes of a presidency run amok, that is what the Democratic Party's elected officials have done: nothing.
“Rape awareness,” in these terms, becomes just another example of hysterical women run amok, which is an image that has often been used in the mainstream media and other places to discredit feminists, feminism and the gains they have made.
Is that the same story or just another example of corruption run amok aka Republican governance?
It is, I know, just my Catholic guilt running a bit amok, which is also why I refuse to lie and say I am going - well, um - strictly for professional reasons.