from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To surround with hostile forces.
- transitive v. To crowd around; hem in.
- transitive v. To harass or importune, as with requests: Reporters besieged the winner for interviews.
- transitive v. To cause to feel distressed or worried: She was besieged by problems.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To beset or surround with armed forces for the purpose of compelling to surrender, to lay siege to, beleaguer.
- v. To beleaguer, lay siege to, beset.
- v. to assail or ply, as with requests or demands.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To beset or surround with armed forces, for the purpose of compelling to surrender; to lay siege to; to beleaguer; to beset.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To lay siege to; beleaguer; beset or surround with armed forces for the purpose of compelling to surrender, either by famine or by violent attacks: as, to besiege a castle or city.
- To beset; throng around; harass.
- Synonyms To beset, hem in, invest, blockade.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. harass, as with questions or requests
- v. surround so as to force to give up
- v. cause to feel distressed or worried
BENNETT: Yes, there is, because the word besiege reentered our vocabulary before the weekend.
Inward sorrows, gnawing thoughts that "besiege" men, doubts, remorse, gloomy landscapes, all afford them abundant inspiration.
American bishop urges Catholics to 'besiege' New York Times
Well, then the rest of us will 'besiege' the RCC and start demanding they be held accountable for these crimes.
Columnist Ahmed Gamal Badawi wrote in the liberal opposition daily Al-Wafd that the government policy to "besiege" Islamists with "obscenity" would backfire and only add
"besiege" Israel though boycotts, raising the price of its oppression.
Syria's "reformer" responded in character, allowing pro-Assad demonstrators to besiege the U.S. and French embassies.
He said Israel "continues to besiege the holy city with a ring of settlements and an annexation wall imposed" to separate the city from the rest of Palestinian territory.
The soldiers also allowed protesters to besiege the TV and radio building in downtown Cairo.
You will either welcome me into your city or I will besiege it!