from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To suppress or extinguish quietly; stifle: burked the investigation by failing to reappoint the commission.
- transitive v. To avoid; disregard: "To make The Tempest a tragic and depressing play he was willing to burke all the elements that made it the exact opposite” ( Robert M. Adams).
- transitive v. To execute (someone) by suffocation so as to leave the body intact and suitable for dissection.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To murder by suffocation, or so as to produce few marks of violence, for the purpose of obtaining a body to be sold for dissection.
- v. To smother; to conceal, hush up, suppress.
- n. Variant spelling of berk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To murder by suffocation, or so as to produce few marks of violence, for the purpose of obtaining a body to be sold for dissection.
- transitive v. To dispose of quietly or indirectly; to suppress; to smother; to shelve.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To murder by suffocation in order to sell the body for dissection. This method was selected because it left no marks of violence upon the victims.
- Figuratively, to smother; shelve; get rid of by some indirect manœuver: as, to burke a parliamentary question.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. British statesman famous for his oratory; pleaded the cause of the American colonists in British Parliament and defended the parliamentary system (1729-1797)
- v. murder without leaving a trace on the body
- n. United States frontierswoman and legendary figure of the Wild West noted for her marksmanship (1852-1903)
- v. get rid of, silence, or suppress
In Australian parlance, a "burke" is a clueless idiot, how very apt …
April 9th, 2009 at 4: 32 am thanks!! very helpful post! viagra brooke burke sexy pictures Says:
Conspiracy idiots like you are in every country - (no moon landings-aliens on earth-kennedy-911-etc etc..) … oh - DCs are the same rank as PCs … they have the D due to different training … burke. on August 14, 2009 at 1: 36 pm PC World
Spydr331: nope i dont think i have, burke and white plains? ill have to look into it
I've heard it might damage the laptop to be trying to read the HD vertically ... cynthia. burke
Looks good, should be handy, but does anyone know how to close the overlay if you decide you don't want to launch anything? cynthia. burke
The console/command windows does do this though, so minimizing a long running copy/batch command will speed it up quite a lot. eldorel cynthia. burke
May 30, 2009 at 7: 12 AM lifehacker should implement this when it comes out cynthia. burke
Or, it will become self aware and call itself Skynet2. 0, maybe SkynetG.cynthia. burke lmaonaise
Yeah, like the cyclists that commented on the pedestrians death on the burke gilman trail.