from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A window sash that opens outward by means of hinges.
  • n. A window with such sashes.
  • n. A case or covering.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a window sash that is hinged on the side and opens outward
  • n. a window having such sashes; a casement window (Wikipedia)
  • n. a casemate

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A window sash opening on hinges affixed to the upright side of the frame into which it is fitted. (Poetically) A window.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In architecture: A frame for glass, as forming a window or part of a window, and made to open by swinging on hinges which are generally affixed to a vertical side of the opening into which it is fitted.
  • n. A compartment between the mullions of a window
  • n. A deep hollow molding used chiefly in cornices, and similar to the scotia of classical or cavetto of Italian architecture. Oxford Glossary. Sometimes, erroneously, casemate.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a window sash that is hinged (usually on one side)


Middle English, a hollow molding, possibly from Middle English case, chest, frame; see case2.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.