from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A band or ribbon worn about the waist as part of one's clothing or over the shoulder as a symbol of rank.
  • transitive v. To put a band or ribbon about (the waist).
  • n. A frame in which the panes of a window or door are set.
  • transitive v. To furnish with a sash.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A decorative length of cloth worn as a broad belt or over the shoulder, often for ceremonial or other formal occasions.
  • n. The opening part of a window usually containing the glass panes, hinged to the jamb, or sliding up and down as in a sash window.
  • n. A draggable vertical or horizontal bar used to adjust the relative sizes of two adjacent windows.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A scarf or band worn about the waist, over the shoulder, or otherwise; a belt; a girdle, -- worn by women and children as an ornament; also worn as a badge of distinction by military officers, members of societies, etc.
  • n. The framing in which the panes of glass are set in a glazed window or door, including the narrow bars between the panes.
  • n. In a sawmill, the rectangular frame in which the saw is strained and by which it is carried up and down with a reciprocating motion; -- also called gate.
  • transitive v. To adorn with a sash or scarf.
  • transitive v. To furnish with a sash or sashes.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To furnish with sash-windows.
  • To dress or ornament with a sash or sashes.
  • n. The framed part of a window, in which the glass is fixed; also, a similar part of a greenhouse, etc.
  • n. The frame in which a saw is put to prevent its bending or buckling when crowded into the cut.
  • n. A long band or roll of silk, fine linen, or gauze, wound round the head by Orientals in the manner of a turban; also, in modern times, a band or scarf worn over the shoulder or round the waist for ornament.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a band of material around the waist that strengthens a skirt or trousers
  • n. a framework that holds the panes of a window in the window frame


Arabic šāš, muslin; akin to Hebrew šēš, byssus, fine linen, both probably from Egyptian šs, linen.
Alteration of French châssis, frame (taken as pl.); see chassis.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Arabic شاش (šāš, "muslin cloth"). (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "He was still floundering about in the deep bank of snow that was just outside the window. Fortunately the sash had been up, and Koku had tossed Mr. Period through the open window."
    - Victor Appleton, 'Tom Swift and His Wizard Camera'.

    August 28, 2009