from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The juice pressed from fruits, especially apples, used as a beverage or to make other products, such as vinegar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An alcoholic, sparkling (carbonated) beverage made from fermented apples.
- n. A non-alcoholic, still beverage consisting of the (usually unfiltered and still containing pulp) juice of early-harvest apples. (Without pulp such a beverage is called apple juice.)
- n. A non-alcoholic carbonated beverage made from apples.
- n. A non-alcoholic drink, normally carbonated; equivalent to soft drink.
- n. Any particular type of one of these beverages.
- n. A cup, glass, or serving of any of these beverages.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The expressed juice of apples. It is used as a beverage, for making vinegar, and for other purposes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strong liquor.
- n. Formerly, any liquor made of the juice of fruits; now, the expressed juice of apples, either before or after fermentation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a beverage made from juice pressed from apples
The term cider entered the English language as a corruption of sekar, a Hebrew word for strong drink which itself derived from the ancient Greek sikera.
In some places of England there is a kind of drink made of apples which they call cider or pomage, but that of pears is called perry, and both are ground and pressed in presses made for the nonce.
Or be disciplined and then ahve have a blow out of pork and apple suaages braised in cider - 2 birds, one delicious stone!!
Add cornstarch, sugar and apple cider (use apple juice if no cider is available) and stir with a spatula to coat all apple slices evenly.
Once the cider is steaming hot, stir in about 1 1/2 tbsp caramel sauce, then add whipped cream and another drizzle of caramel.
If you must have your bubbles, sparkling cider is available at the halfway point of the four-mile course.nyrr. org
Apple cider is a type of unfiltered apple juice made from pressing ripe apples to remove the liquid from them.
It can be served chilled, but one of the most popular - and most delicious - things to do with a batch of apple cider is to spice it and serve it heated.
Also, and from limited amount of tasting, US cider is pretty awful compared to European cider.
I was baking pork in cider, cream, rosemary and mustard, a dish I'd made many times before.