from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Having the successive letters joined together: cursive writing; a cursive style of type.
  • n. A cursive character or letter.
  • n. A manuscript written in cursive characters.
  • n. Printing A type style that imitates handwriting.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Having successive letters joined together.
  • n. A cursive character, letter or font.
  • n. A manuscript written in cursive characters.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Running; flowing.
  • n. A character used in cursive writing.
  • n. A manuscript, especially of the New Testament, written in small, connected characters or in a running hand; -- opposed to uncial.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Running; flowing, as writing or manuscript in which the letters are joined one to another, and are formed rapidly without raising the pen, pencil, or stylus; specifically, in paleography, modified from the capital or uncial form, so as to assume a form analogous to that used in modern running hand: as, the cursive style; cursive letters; cursive manuscripts.
  • n. A cursive letter or character: as, a manuscript written in cursives.
  • n. A manuscript written in cursive characters.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adj. having successive letter joined together
  • n. rapid handwriting in which letters are set down in full and are cursively connected within words without lifting the writing implement from the paper


French (écriture) cursive, cursive (handwriting), from Medieval Latin (scrīpta) cursīva, from Latin cursus, past participle of currere, to run; see kers- in Indo-European roots.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin cursivus, from cursum. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.