from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To represent in a picture or sculpture.
- transitive v. To represent in words; describe. See Synonyms at represent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To render a representation of something, using words, sounds, images, or other means.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To form a colored likeness of; to represent by a picture; to paint; to portray.
- transitive v. To represent in words; to describe vividly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To portray; paint; form a likeness of in colors: as, to depict a lion on a shield.
- To portray in words; describe: as, to depict the horrors of war.
- Synonyms To delineate, sketch, set forth.
- In mathematics, to represent; map.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give a description of
- v. make a portrait of
- v. show in, or as in, a picture
The world I'm trying to depict is strange, unfamiliar, beautiful, exciting - but above all, it's real.
No, what they depict is what was described and the children's interpretation that it was the Holy Father.
What these Twenty Poems of Love and One Ode of Desperation depict is the meeting between two people's desolation in the shadow of destruction, and in the next major work, Residence on Earth, he is still "alone among shifting matter".
To this system of procuring, under great risks and at almost any cost, faithful representations of the scenes we propose to depict, is due the greater part of the favour by which the Illustrated London News is received by the public.
Kanjo said Thursday some of the coins depict Alexander on one side and the Greek god Zeus on the other.
Roymans disclosed that both the gold and silver coins depict triple spirals on the obverse, a common Celtic symbol.
The gold and silver coins depict the king protea, South Africa's national flower.
The "Mandleve" coin depicts the tag-eared elephant's head and the other coins depict the head of their respective animals on their common obverse.
I went to the door, but would go no farther; but in the ten minutes I stood there, I heard him in graphic and forcible terms depict the misery of the drunkard and the awful consequences of his conduct, both as they affected himself and those connected with him.
In the most significant change to U.S. cigarette packs in 25 years, the FDA's the new warning labels depict in graphic detail the negative health effects of tobacco use.