from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A porous material through which a liquid or gas is passed in order to separate the fluid from suspended particulate matter.
- n. A device containing such a material, especially one used to extract impurities from air or water.
- n. Any of various electric, electronic, acoustic, or optical devices used to reject signals, vibrations, or radiations of certain frequencies while allowing others to pass.
- n. A colored glass or other transparent material used to select the wavelengths of light allowed to reach a photosensitive material.
- n. Computer Science A program or routine that blocks access to data that meet a particular criterion: a Web filter that screens out vulgar sites.
- transitive v. To pass (a liquid or gas) through a filter.
- transitive v. To remove by passing through a filter: filter out impurities.
- transitive v. Computer Science To use a filter to block access to (a website or Web content).
- intransitive v. To pass through or as if through a filter: Light filtered through the blinds.
- intransitive v. To come or go gradually and in small groups: The audience filtered back into the hall.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device which separates a suspended, dissolved, or particulate matter from a fluid, solution, or other substance; any device that separates one substance from another.
- n. Electronics or software that separates unwanted signals (for example noise) from wanted signals or that attenuates selected frequencies.
- n. Any item, mechanism, device or procedure that acts to separate or isolate.
- n. A non-empty upper set (of a partially ordered set) which is closed under binary infima (a.k.a. meets).
- v. To sort, sift, or isolate.
- v. To diffuse; to cause to be less concentrated or focused.
- v. To pass through a filter or to act as though passing through a filter.
- v. To move slowly or gradually; to come or go a few at a time.
- v. To ride a motorcycle between lanes on a road
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any porous substance, as cloth, paper, sand, or charcoal, through which water or other liquid may passed to cleanse it from the solid or impure matter held in suspension; a chamber or device containing such substance; a strainer; also, a similar device for purifying air.
- transitive v. To purify or defecate, as water or other liquid, by causing it to pass through a filter.
- intransitive v. To pass through a filter; to percolate.
- n. Same as philter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A device for arresting and separating any matter mechanically suspended in a liquid.
- n. Specifically In fish-culture, a long box in which screens, usually of flannel, are placed, through which the water is filtered before it passes into the hatching-troughs. Also called filtering-box, filtering-tank.
- To purify or defecate, as water or other liquid, by passing it through a filter or any cleansing medium; strain.
- Specifically In analytic chemistry, to separate (a solution) from the solid matter contained in it, either for the purpose of collecting and saving the solid matter, usually a precipitate, or of preparing the solution for further operations.
- To percolate; pass through or as through a filter.
- Same as felter.
- n. See philter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. run or flow slowly, as in drops or in an unsteady stream
- v. pass through
- v. remove by passing through a filter
- n. an electrical device that alters the frequency spectrum of signals passing through it
- n. device that removes something from whatever passes through it
What you can put in the text box to filter is anything you would put after '$filter =' in a
For example, a call to polymorphic_path ([@project, @filter, @issue]) with a nil filter now returns commit
Plus there's a lot more things you'll want to filter other than just whats provided by the filter_* functions.
$filter - You assign a filter expression to this parameter to filter the movie results.
Cast post a whole host of words which trigger the word filter yet no one seems to know what the list of words are.
I need a more functional bottle and a filter is a good addition to any daily water bottle.
Raising his voice Clay boomed into the microphone, "the filter is the single most important function on the internet today."
Setting up a filter is the same whether you're working with ad groups, keywords, or placement; though, the criteria you can filter by does depend on what you're trying to filter.
So the kind of filtering described above might well pass muster for “targeting persons reasonably believed to be located outside the United States,” even if it scoops up a lot of stuff that proves not to be germane, provided the filter is at least reasonably well designed to gather information about the target foreign group.
This filter is able to detect invalid clicks in real-time, with the goal of removing them before they ever show up in the AdWords console.