from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- v. Past participle of go1.
- adj. Being away from a place; absent or having departed.
- adj. Past; bygone.
- adj. Advanced beyond hope or recall.
- adj. Dying or dead.
- adj. Ruined; lost: a gone cause.
- adj. Carried away; absorbed.
- adj. Used up; exhausted.
- adj. Slang Infatuated: gone on his sweetheart.
- adj. Slang Pregnant: is five months gone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Past participle of go
- adj. Away, having left.
- adj. No longer part of the present situation.
- adj. No longer existing, having passed.
- adj. Used up.
- adj. Dead.
- adj. Intoxicated to the point of being unaware of one's surroundings
- adj. Excellent; wonderful.
- adj. Ago (used post-positionally).
- prep. Past, after, later than (a time).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- p. p. of go.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lapsed; lost; hopeless; beyond recovery: in a gone case and similar phrases.
- Characterized by a sinking sensation, as if about to faint; weak and faint: as, a gone feeling.
- In archery, wide of the mark or beyond bounds: said of an arrow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. destroyed or killed
- adj. no longer retained
- adj. well in the past; former
- adj. dead
Sorry, no etymologies found.
When he was gone, the realization that he was *gone* was mind-blowing and devastating.
On further inquiry, the man stated that since the cat came _down the tree_, it was a sign that his brother had gone down to hell; but had the cat _gone up the tree_, it would have shown that he had gone up to heaven.
Edgar is gone, said the mother, with head half bowed, gone to work in Nashville; he and his father couldnt agree.
Certain things in me are gone -- _gone_ -- and instead there is a fire -- something driving, tormenting -- which must burn its way out.
Like with domain names, once a desired username is gone … it is gone*.
Coz in a way, i scared my other choices for this year de application in NTU might be successful instead of my first choice and if this happens, i wanna be able to go to the course which i was reserved in NUS. no wont be gone but u would have to reject one of them if both get thru yes. will be gone~ Serious, anyone had this form of experience? no wont be gone but u would have to reject one of them if both get thru Seriously bro?
I am full of suspicion, and, therefore, listen to nothing; I am in a hurry to be gone’.59 We approach the great masters and the great things of the world when they are a little difficult to us in just this spirit: we listen to nothing, we are in a hurry to be gone.
Get you gone, baggage! get you _gone_! "he repeated, with a stamp; for a knock at the hall-door made her instantaneous disappearance indispensable.
Well, long after the campaign (but still campaigning like another election is tomorrow) and after one quarter of his term gone by, there seems to be a "Surge" in his plan and more rhetoric on "the end" of wars.
She vented about what she called the gone-on-too-long Iraq war, a sluggish economy, the bungled Hurricane Katrina response and a continuing terrorism threat…