from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- v. Past tense and past participle of spend.
- adj. Used up; consumed: a spent youth.
- adj. Having come to an end; passed: a spent era of opulence.
- adj. Depleted of energy, force, or strength; exhausted: At the end of the hot day the spent workers slept under a shady tree.
- adj. Nautical Of or relating to a vessel at the end of a voyage, with fuel, stores, and water consumed and cargo discharged.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Consumed, used up, exhausted, depleted.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of spend.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Exhausted; worn out; having lost energy or motive force.
- adj. Exhausted of spawn or sperm; -- said especially of fishes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nearly or quite exhausted or worn out; having lost force or vitality; inefficient; impotent: generally in a comparative sense.
- Exhausted by spending or spawning; of fish, having spawned.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. depleted of energy, force, or strength
- adj. drained of energy or effectiveness; extremely tired; completely exhausted
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The Differential Calculus is begun and the remainder of the term spent on exercises in differentiation of functions.
Joseph Jackson didn't read the contract he signed for the boys; he thought he was committing them for one year but in effect Motown locked them in for five; their royalty rate amounted to roughly a dime per album -- say $100,000 for a million records sold -- minus whatever the label spent on the band, for recording and just about anything else.
I guess a quarter of the time of the term spent campaigning is better than half.
: I guess a quarter of the time of the term spent campaigning is better than half.
Fearless album, and last week the title spent its 26th week at #1 on
Jay Hammond, who in the last two years of his term spent six weeks a year at his remote Lake Clark homestead, according to his former chief of staff, Jerry Reinwand.
If any of the time that this title spent in production limbo was spent on improving its dub, it doesn't show.
McCain spent years building a reputation as a straight talker who was willing to buck the party line in the better interests of the country.
Every dollar spent is another piece of the country sold to China. they are mor interested in illegal alliens then their own citizens. they are acting like traitors. surfdog san diego
I am glad that McCain spent the time to explain the rulings by Sotomayor that show her to exceed her authority.