from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A reinforced eyelet, as in cloth or leather, through which a fastener may be passed.
- n. A small metal or plastic ring used to reinforce such an eyelet.
- n. Nautical A loop of rope or metal used for securing the edge of a sail to its stay.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A reinforced eyelet, or a small metal or plastic ring used to reinforce an eyelet.
- n. A young or inexperienced surfer, skateboarder, or snowboarder.
- n. A circle formed of three-stranded rope.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A ring formed by twisting on itself a single strand of an unlaid rope; also, a metallic eyelet in or for a sail or a mailbag. Sometimes written grummet.
- n. A ring of rope used as a wad to hold a cannon ball in place.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See gromet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. fastener consisting of a metal ring for lining a small hole to permit the attachment of cords or lines
It’s perfect for hauling my 2 year old with the addition of a Dutch kid seat – the center stand is key for loading an unloading a child without the bike tipping over … With the addition of Dutch panniers, that can, thanks to a large built-in grommet, actually be locked to the bike, it’s very useful for errands and grocery shopping, too.
I imagine over time the milk jug will tear the grommet out or the wind will catch the over hanging flap.
Roy's got the full cast of wallace and grommet in 32oz
The valve's size number and manufacturer ID were hidden on the rubber grommet area of the valve, only visible from inside the wheel.
Next door the boys have band practice, mostly basslines and wandering loops, they are nomads in white grommet belts and black jeans.
The grommet in her neck squeaks as her lens peers into a dim, steamy enclosure.
The cap is fitted with a grommet designed to keep out seawater and prevent the formation of slushy methane hydrates that bedeviled an earlier containment dome effort.
The two wheels rotate independently, held concentrically by a grommet.
These are decks of cards held together at the bottom by a grommet.
Balls of yarn stay clean and sit securely inside the zip case, while the yarn can be pulled through the grommet holes on the top of the case to facilitate easy knitting.