from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A reinforced eyelet, as in cloth or leather, through which a fastener may be passed.
  • n. A small metal or plastic ring used to reinforce such an eyelet.
  • n. Nautical A loop of rope or metal used for securing the edge of a sail to its stay.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A reinforced eyelet, or a small metal or plastic ring used to reinforce an eyelet.
  • n. A young or inexperienced surfer, skateboarder, or snowboarder.
  • n. A circle formed of three-stranded rope.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A ring formed by twisting on itself a single strand of an unlaid rope; also, a metallic eyelet in or for a sail or a mailbag. Sometimes written grummet.
  • n. A ring of rope used as a wad to hold a cannon ball in place.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. See gromet.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. fastener consisting of a metal ring for lining a small hole to permit the attachment of cords or lines


Probably from obsolete French gromette, gormette, chain joining the ends of a bit, from Old French, from gourmer, to bridle.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From obsolete French gromette ("curb chain") (modern spelling gourmette). (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • There was a kid's show called "Wallace and Grommet."

    June 9, 2012

  • Mrs Simpson's pet name for her abdicating Windsor.

    January 23, 2008

  • I love Gromit. :-)

    January 23, 2008

  • Not to be confused with Gromit.

    January 23, 2008

  • or the hickey doo where sweatshirt strings come out of the hood.

    May 17, 2007

  • The plastic ring in a hole that protects cables running through the hole, as well as reinforces the hole itself. If that doesn't make sense, check a nearby desk, bookcase, or other piece of office furniture. It'll likely have one, or two.

    May 16, 2007